UFC Philadelphia Results
- Alex Perez def. Mark De La Rosa by unanimous decision
- Maryna Moroz def. Sabina Mazo by unanimous decision
- Casey Kenney def. Ray Borg by unanimous decision
- Kevin Holland def. Gerald Meerschaert by split decision
- Kevin Aguilar def. Enrique Barzola by unanimous decision
- Desmond Green def. Ross Pearson by 1st round TKO
- Marina Rodriguez def. Jessica Aguilar by unanimous decision
- Sodiq Yusuff def. Sheymon Moraes by unanimous decision
- Paul Craig def. Kennedy Nzechukwu by 3rd round submission (Triangle)
- Michelle Waterson def. Karolina Kowalkiewicz by unanimous decision
- Josh Emmett def. Michael Johnson by 3rd round KO
- Jack Hermansson def. David Branch by 1st round submission (Guillotine)
- Justin Gaethje def. Edson Barboza by 1st round KO
Going into the night there was only one thing that made sense for this main event… violence. Justin Gaethje is one of the most electrifying athletes in the sport and he did not disappoint in this one as he knocked out Edson Barboza in just over 2 minutes. When the fight started they both exchanged their signature leg kicks followed by some power punches. Gaethje seemed to hurt Barboza with his strikes and had him wobbled for most of the fight, and it was only a matter of time until Gaethje put him out cold with a right hand. Like most Gaethje fights, this scrap left all fans on the edge of their seats because they knew a brawl was about to take place. After all, his nickname isn’t “The Highlight” for no reason. I can’t think an ideal option for him at this moment because the top of the Lightweight division is clogged for many reasons. Despite this I’m sure that Justin Gaethje will headline another fight night card soon because he is a huge draw.
At Featherweight, Josh Emmett made his return to the octagon by knocking out Michael Johnson in the 3rd round. Emmett had major injuries after his last fight against Jeremy Stephens that led to a year away from the sport. He looked rusty at the start, but started to find his groove later in the fight. It was clear he was trailing on the judges scorecards so he was hunting for a knockout in final minutes, and he got it. He completely starched Johnson for a highlight KO. I was wondering why Emmett was hesitant to use his wrestling, but his striking worked out for him in the end.
In another Featherweight bout Sodiq Yusuff defeated Sheymon Moraes by unanimous decision. Yusuff, a fighter on “Dana White’s Tuesday Night Contender Series”, showed why the hype around him is real as he took down a top Brazilian kick boxer in Moraes. This was a close fight and going into the 3rd it was tied at one round a piece. A sneaky punch from Yusuff was the difference as he dropped Moraes late in the 3rd to secure the win. After the fight Yusuff called out Kron Gracie which was very interesting in my opinion. Gracie is a submission specialist that is feared by many people which makes things interesting between him and Yusuff, who is a striker. I think this fight makes perfect sense and both fighters would be put to the test against what would be considered as their weaknesses.
Top Photo: Bill Streicher-USA TODAY Sports