UFC Wichita Results
- Alex White def. Dan Moret by Unanimous decision
- Alex Morono def. Zak Ottow by 1st round TKO
- Matt Schnell def. Louis Smolka by 1st round submission (Triangle)
- Maurice Greene def. Jeff Hughes by Split decision
- Grant Dawson def. Julian Erosa by Unanimous decision
- Yana Kunitskaya def. Marion Reneau by Unanimous decision
- Anthony Rocco Martin def. Sergio Moraes by Unanimous decision
- Omari Akhmedov def. Tim Boetsch by Unanimous decision
- Beneil Dariush def. Drew Dober by 2nd round submission (Armbar)
- Blagoy Ivanov def. Ben Rothwell by Unanimous decision
- Niko Price def. Tim Means by 1st round KO
- Elizeu Zaleski dos Santos def. Curtis Millender by 1st round submission (RNC)
- Junior dos Santos def. Derrick Lewis by 2nd round TKO
In a thrilling main event Junior dos Santos showed us a blast from the past as he finished Derrick Lewis. A spinning back kick hurt Lewis midway through the 1st as he leaned over but as soon as dos Santos came in Lewis fired a right hand. It looked like he faked getting hurt, but the strike clearly landed as he was wincing in pain for the rest of the round. Going into the 2nd round Lewis was still hurt, and JDS took advantage by landing a 1-2 that dropped Lewis eventually ending the fight. With this win dos Santos propels himself into title contention, and many people want him to face Francis Ngannou next. As for Lewis he looks to go back to the drawing board after 2 straight losses.
In a back and forth battle Niko Price beat Tim Means by knockout with 10 seconds left in the 1st round. These two were slugging until the very end as Means stunned Price and backed him up against the fence. Price responded by throwing a blazing right hook that put Means away instantly. The punch was so powerful that it folded Means and his ankle snapped on the way down. This earned Price a $50k performance bonus to go along with a highlight victory.
Former top contender Ben Rothwell returned to the octagon after 3 years off. His return was spoiled by #15 ranked Blagoy Ivanov who won via unanimous decision in a close fight. I have always found Rothwell an interesting fighter because of his square stance and his different approach to striking. Ivanov had the answer Saturday night as he held Rothwell at bay. Rothwell came off a 2-year suspension from USADA for taking a banned substance leading up to his previous fight.
UFC veteran Beneil Dariush fought Drew Dober in a high pace fight. Dober was striking well until he was taken down by Dariush. Dober got up but made the mistake of reengaging with the Jiu Jitsu black belt. Dariush reversed him and ended up putting Dober in a armbar. Dober was forced to tap in a very winnable fight for him.
Top Photo: Josh Hedges/Zuffa LLC/Zuffa LLC via Getty Images